COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

For Aberdeen City Branch specific information, please click here.

Please note – due to the extra pressure on front line staff and emergency measures around COVID-19, the branch is short staffed at the moment. Aberdeen City Branch have cancelled all but essential meetings and hearings for the foreseeable future.
HOWEVER if you need support, advice or guidance please get in touch with us and we will endeavour to get back to you as quickly as we can.

General Points/FAQs
What should I do if I believe I may have the symptoms of, or have had close contact with someone who has had, COVID-19?
It has been announced by the Scottish Government (13 March) anyone developing symptoms consistent with COVID-19, however mild should self-isolate for 7 days. In addition, it is now recommended that anyone living in the same household as a symptomatic person should self-isolate for 14 days after the first household member first gets symptoms.

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are recent onset of:
•new continuous cough and/or
•high temperature

If symptoms worsen during home isolation or are no better after 7 days then people should be advised to phone their GP or NHS24 (111).

In either circumstance, employers should encourage employees to self-isolate, and stay away from work. You should normally call NHS 111 for advice, except in an emergency, when you should ring 999.

Until a case is confirmed, current advice is that the employer need not apply special restrictions or special control measures. There is also no need to close the workplace.

Can my employer make me self-isolate?
Yes, your employer can instruct you not to attend your workplace.

If I have to self-isolate, will I be paid?
Employees who have to self-isolate and who are unable to work from home will be granted paid leave, for the duration of the self-isolation or until they develop symptoms. If symptoms develop normal sick leave provisions apply. (See SJC Standard conditions of service Part 2, Para 8.7. SJC guidance here )

Do I have to work while I self isolate?
Again depends on where you work and what your job is. For many people working from home is not an option. For those that can – if you are symptom free then arrangements should be made for you to work from home, where possible.

What should my employer do if a case of COVID-19 is confirmed in the workplace?
If an employee or anyone else who has visited your workplace is confirmed as having the virus, your employer will be contacted by their local health protection team to discuss the case, identify people who have been in contact with them, and advise on any actions or precautions that should be taken.

What protective equipment should I be getting from my employer?
This depends on what you do, with whom, and where you are working. Your employer must carry out a full risk assessment and provide you with the specialist training and the personal protective equipment (PPE) (gowns/aprons, masks, gloves, etc) that you may require.

If you are cleaning an area where there have been possible or confirmed cases, you should as a minimum be provided with disposable gloves and apron. Hands should be washed with soap and water after all PPE has been removed.

Where a higher level of contamination may have been present (for example, where unwell individuals have slept such as a hotel room or boarding school dormitory, or where there is visible contamination with body fluids), then the need for additional PPE such as a surgical face mask and full-face visor should be considered. The local health protection team will advise on this.

UNISON Scotland Guidance

UNISON UK National Guidance

Useful links
NHS Inform (Scotland)

Public Health Scotland

Scottish Government

UK Government –

World Health Organisation –

If you plan to travel, please find advice on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

Covid-19 Helpline: 0800 028 2816 – The helpline is open Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 10.00pm; Saturday and Sunday, 9.00am to 5.00pm.